Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

October 6, 2017

Convened 10:03 AM at the Manager’s home.

Present:  Eric Lucas, president and secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Jerry Gorsline, and Sean Stehura, directors; and Dan Näsman, manager.  Absent: Don Kruger vice president, and directors Tom Lemmons and Shellie Mueller.

The proposed agenda was adopted.

Minutes of the July 7, 2017 board meeting were adopted.

Manager Näsman reported on Association investments and cash flow.  The Association owns $134,000 in bonds paying an average interest rate of 3.9%; Mutual Funds worth $200,000 paying 4%, and cash accounts totaling $2,300. Equity growth in the mutual funds has totaled 2% since January 1.  A transfer of $2,000 from one of the mutual fund accounts to cash eased cash concerns.  An additional transfer was proposed to cover some reimbursable expenses over the next two months.

One Ocean Grove home sold for $380,000 recently and a home was just listed at $369,000.

A review of criteria for “unsightly yards” led to no definitive language but one owner will be requested to remove a large tarp from the trees on his property.

Leveling of one corner of the RV lot was authorized to add one additional space.

The manager proposed language for a Covenant change to accommodate modular homes.  The proposed language was revised and will be presented to the board for consideration at its next meeting on January 5th, 2018.

The manager presented a detailed calendar for the manager’s obligations with regard to filings and Association meetings.  An expansion to include a broader statement of duties and requirements for selection will be presented for board consideration at the next meeting.

A timeline for enforcement of the Covenant restrictions (removal or shielding) was approved and the Manager was directed to implement it.

Adjourned at 1135 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

 

Next board meeting on January 5, 2018 at the manager’s home at 10 AM.

 

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

July 7, 2017

Convened 9:57AM at the Manager’s home.

Present:  Eric Lucas, president and secretary; Don Kruger, vice president; Laura Souza, treasurer; Jerry Gorsline, Shellie Mueller Tom Lemmons and Sean Stehura, directors; and Dan Näsman, manager.  Guests:  Kevin Considine and Howard Andreasen

The proposed agenda was adopted.

Minutes of the April 7, 2017 board meeting were adopted.

Manager Näsman reported on Association investments and cash flow.  He noted that the investment income has dropped from $24,000 per year to $17,000 because of a number of high interest bonds that were called and replaced with lower interest-bearing bonds.  Bond values continue to hold and the mutual funds, on average, have paid fair interest and shown good equity growth.  He noted that the cash flow in sometimes problematical–$650 in anticipated owner fees are in arrears, an anomaly this year.

Board members discussed funding options including sale of two Association lots on the corner of Huntingford and Kruse.  They also discussed a one-time assessment and will study other options.  Immediate cash flow demands can be met by drawing from one of the mutual funds.

Real estate activity has slowed with only one home added to the market—11 Swanson, a 3BR, 3,492.sq ft home offered at $495,000.

Manager Näsman reported limited success in working with an owner whose yard has been a concern to neighbors.

The Board unanimously approved accepting parcel 977100421 as included in the Ocean Grove #2 plat and as Association members.

The manager was authorized to arrange for the removal of a dead and unstable tree at the Adelma beach property.

No action was taken with regard to the Discovery Bay Alliance petition, which requests the county to require NW Security Services to comply with court ordered restrictions.

A covenant variance for the placement of a modular home on two lots on Cape George Road overlooking the greenbelt was approved.  Included in the approval action was the requirement that the owner submit complete plans for the project.  A committee (president Lucas, vice president Kruger, board member Lemmons, and manager Näsman) was formed to quickly develop Covenant language to incorporate standards for approving modular homes.

Board members Lemmons and Stehura reported owner complaints about maneuvering RVs into some spaces in the current configuration.  Discussion ensued with regard to expanding the lot into an adjacent lot owned by the Association.  Because of expense,  reconfiguring the lot and revising current use criteria may alleviate the problem.  Priority will be given to resident owners.

Board member Mueller is organizing a meeting for Emergency Planning and reviewing material and other needs.

In open discussion:  Placement of the dog waste bag dispenser at Myrtle and Swanson will be moved closer to the street.  Also a new bee’s nest near the community garden may need to be removed.

Adjourned at 1132 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

Next board meeting on October 6th at the manager’s home at 10 AM.

 

 

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

Annual Board Reorganizational Meeting

April 7, 2017

Convened 9:57AM at the Manager’s home.

Present:  Tom Lemmons, president; Don Kruger, vice president, Eric Lucas, secretary, Laura Souza, treasurer, Jerry Gorsline, Shellie Mueller, and Sean Stehura; directors and Dan Näsman, manager.

The proposed agenda was adopted.

Eric Lucas was elected as President and re-elected as secretary.  Don Kruger was re-elected as vice president and Laura Souza was re-elected as treasurer.

Tom Lemmons and Sean Stehura were appointed to the Recreation (grounds) committee.  Eric Lucas, Don Kruger, Sean Stehura, and Dan Näsman will continue as members of the Building Review Committee.

Minutes of the January 6, 2017 board meeting were adopted.

Minutes of the April 2, 2017 Annual Membership meeting were adopted.

The manager reported that dues and RV receipts to date totaled $2,497, about one-third of the billed total.

Manager Näsman reported on the anticipated transfer of a PUD lot to the community drainfield reserve, which would free a lot for sale to an adjacent property owner.  State approval of the procedure is required and expected.

In response to concerns raised about the quality of the new water source for our PUD water, Jerry Gorsline contacted Bill Graham at PUD #1 about the water hardness issue. Graham stated that one grain of hardness is equal to 17 mg of calcium carbonate (the source of hardness) per liter.

All PUD water now comes from groundwater sources (i.e. Kala Point, Sparling  well  #2 and  well #3) that is derived from glacial sediment and which typically averages about 80 mg calcium carbonate per liter; however that amount will vary depending on the well source (Kala Point water is very hard) which also varies over time.

The PUD adds poly-phosphates at the source which, in the form of ortho-phosphate, eliminates any problem of clogged plumbing and also removes trace amounts of lead and copper, however, other effects remain (spotting, etc).

In short, the PUD does not believe there will be any problems with our plumbing as a result of the water source changeover.

Concern was expressed over deterioration of Ocean Grove roads, including Cape George Road.  Recent chip sealing has been breaking down.  A request will be made to the County Roads Department to schedule a re-do.

Adjourned at 11:15 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

Next board meeting on July 7th at the manager’s home at 10 AM.

 

 

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

January 6, 2017

 

Convened at 2:00 PM at the Manager’s home.

Present: Tom Lemmons, president; Don Kruger, vice president, Eric Lucas, secretary, Laura Souza, treasurer, Jerry Gorsline, Shellie Mueller, and Sean Stehura; directors and Dan Näsman, manager. Guests: Mike Miller, Alan and Carie Mace.

The proposed agenda, was adopted.

Minutes of the October 28, 2016 meeting were adopted.

The manager reported that Association investments totaling $352,265 had a current market value of $350,889 and were earning an average rate of 3.84%. Bond values, however, are intended to be held to maturity and redeemed at face value, which is $180,000. Equity investments (three Franklin-Templeton funds) have increased from $170,500 (invested) to $176,570 (current market value) while also paying 3.8% interest.

The manager presented an update on income and expenditures for the current fiscal year. Using the current budget as a template the board approved a proposed budget for the coming fiscal year (April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018). It will be presented to the membership for approval at the annual meeting on April 2nd

The manager also noted that one residential property and two undeveloped parcels are in escrow and that there are no homes are listed for sale and five undeveloped parcels are available to interested buyers.

A proposed letter to owners who have Recreational Vehicles on their property in violation of the Covenants was discussed and approved. The letter will cite the Covenant language and indicate options that the owner can consider.

A prospective purchaser of two Ocean Grove lots asked the board for consideration of building plans that are exceptions to the Covenant language. He plans to erect a modular home (1491 square feet) which is stick built but arrives at the site as a kit. He also will propose a metal building for use as a garage/shop with an attached car port. The board discussed the proposal but deferred the decision to the Building Review Committee which will call a meeting as soon as specific plans arrive.

A home on Beckett Point Road has been the object of many complaints from neighbors. They believe it to be in violation of Covenant language specific to unsightly yards and generally to the Covenant intention to protect property values of all owners.

The manager was directed to prepare and deliver a demand letter and to try to reach resolution on step-by-step improvements.

Reimbursement to the manager for out-of-pocket expenses for the Christmas party was approved

A couple who would like to purchase an available lot in Ocean Grove to build a “Tiny House”—about 200 square feet—acknowledged that it did not comply with the Covenants but wanted to “sound out” the board as to the likelihood of a waiver. Board members indicated that they would not be favorable to such a variance.

The manager expressed his frustration at the inability of the County Manager and the Board of Commissioners to move on the pending request to establish a no-shooting zone in Ocean Grove. Everything has been vetted but the BOC has not called for the requisite public hearing, even after a personal appeal to them by the Manager. The manager indicated that he may do a public records search of previous approvals to see what the usual time frame is.

Annual Membership Meeting April 2, 2017 tentatively scheduled for the Northwest Maritime Center with a luncheon buffet preceding the business meeting. Board terms expire for President Tom Lemmons and Vice President Don Kruger. Neither has indicated whether or not they will seek another term.

The next board meeting, the annual Board Reorganizational Meeting, is scheduled for Friday, April 7th at 10 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 3:40 PM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

 

 

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

October 28, 2016

 

Convened at 10:07 AM at the Manager’s home.

Present:  Tom Lemmons, president; Don Kruger, vice president, Eric Lucas, secretary, Laura Souza, treasurer, Jerry Gorsline, Shellie Mueller, and Sean Stehura; directors and Dan Näsman, manager.  Guest:  Howard Andreasen.

The proposed agenda,was adopted.

Minutes of the April 8, 2016 were adopted.

The manager reported that Association investments totaling $352,265 had a current market value of $361,461 and were earning an average rate of 3.84%.  Bond values, however, are intended to be held to maturity and redeemed at face value, which is $180,000.  Equity investments (three Franklin-Templeton funds) have increased from $170,500 (invested) to $176,800 (current market value) while also paying 3.8% interest.

 

The manager also noted that all residential properties that were on the market have closed escrow and have new owner-residents.

 

Board members were asked to review the Covenant provisions pertaining to RV storage on residential lots and discussed whether to propose removal of the two-week restriction (i.e. RVs allowed full-time on owner lots with some restrictions to apply).  Some members supported the current Covenant language but urged that owners be informed as to the current options such as the option to screen a parked RV from street view or to request a board waiver.  A committee will be formed to develop information for discussion at the next annual meeting of the membership on April 2, 2017.  Any changes would require membership approval at a subsequent meeting.  The current Covenant language was approved by the membership in April 2015.  In the interim, the manager will draft a proposed letter for review by board members.

Board members discussed, at the request of owner-residents, the matter of speeding on Beckett Point Road and concern over allegedly unsightly conditions at a neighboring home.  The president will request the sheriff to enforce the posted speed limits  Discussion of what constitutes “unsightly conditions”, which are prohibited by the Covenants, ensued without agreement. The manager will contact the owner of the property and report back to the board as soon as possible.

The proposed sale of a drainfield reserve lot to an adjoining owner will require state approval.  The manager will pursue closure and intends to meet with pertinent state Health Department managers.  All local approvals have been granted.

The manager appeared before the county commissioners requesting timely action on a long-delayed response to the no-shooting petition for designation of Ocean Grove as a no-shooting zone.

Board members and the manager will continue to look for a replacement for attorney Richard Shaneyfelt who retired.  Colette Kostelec will be asked to consider accepting the position.

The afternoon social to welcome new resident owners was well-attended.  The manager will be reimbursed for expenses.  Approval was given for expenditures related to the annual Swedish Christmas buffet at the manager’s home on December 18th.

Resident owner Emelia de Souza requested additional information on the requirements for compliance with county septic inspections.  (Subsequent to the meeting the manager met with the county official in charge and came away with the understanding that the PUD inspections will suffice provided that they are accepted by the state Health Department.)  Emelia also requested a report on available water filtering options now that the PUD has switched to well water sources.  The manager will compile and report options that individual owners can consider.  These will range from whole-house filtering to filters for cooking and drinking water only.

The next board meeting is scheduled for Friday, January 6th at 10 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 12:05 PM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

 

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

Annual Board reorganization meeting

April 8, 2016

 

Convened at 10:07 AM at the Manager’s home.

Present: Tom Lemmons, president; Shellie Mueller, vice president, Eric Lucas, secretary, Laura Souza, treasurer, Jerry Gorsline, and Don Kruger, directors and Dan Näsman, manager. Guest: Howard Andreasen. Absent: Director Sean Stehura

Agenda, which was properly noted to board members, was approved.

Election of officers: Tom Lemmons, Eric Lucas, and Laura Souza were unanimously re-elected to their current positions and Don Kruger was unanimously elected vice president.

President Lemmons named himself, Eric Lucas, Don Kruger (chair), Sean Stehura and Dan Näsman to the Building Committee.   Sean Stehura and Tom Lemmons will serve as the recreation committee.

The manager reported on dues collections and referenced the financial report from the annual meeting.

The manager reported on recent property transactions. (copy attached).

The Manager noted the presence of two RVs on lots in violation of the Covenants and will follow up to get compliance.

Selection of an attorney to replace the long-time association attorney Richard Shaneyfelt who retired was discussed and a selection was made.

A pending small claims action against the Adelma Beach neighbor, Ed Kirkpatrick, was discussed. The DCD will provide an amicus letter supporting the Association in its action to collect unpaid DCD charges that were owed by Kirkpatrick but which had to be paid by the Association to prevent legal action. (Kirkpatrick damaged the bluff and agreed to repair and pay costs but the permits had to be in the owner’s (Ocean Grove) name.) A letter from the attorney will be sent. If unsuccessful, mediation will be required before entering into a Small Claims Court action.

Group prices for water filters for residences will be explored in advance of the switch to well water.

By unanimous agreement, reimbursement to the manager for a portion (up to $250) of truck repairs was authorized. (His truck is used for Association purposes.

Next board meeting: Friday, July 8th, 2016 at 10:00 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 11:15 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

Minutes not yet adopted by board

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

January 8, 2016

Convened at 10 AM at the manager’s home by Tom Lemmons, president.

Present: Tom Lemmons, president,: Shellie Mueller, vice president; Eric Lucas, secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Jerry Gorsline, Don Kruger, Sean Stehura, directors and Dan Näsman, manager. Guests: Resident Pam Den Otter

The Agenda, which was properly noted to board members, was approved.

Minutes of the Board meeting on October 9, 2015 were unanimously approved with revisions.

Financial Reports: Agenda Item 3.3 GTE bond status and investment options was taken out of order. A motion to sell the bond was unanimously approved. Board representatives will meet with the Edward Jones broker to discuss investment options.

Association fee increase from$10 per lot to $20 per for the next fiscal year (beginning April 1st) increase to $20 per lot was approved.   Approval was given to an increase in RV storage fees from $120 per year to $150 per year. After discussion, sale of two association lots adjacent to the RV storage lots did not go forward.

The manager reported that the county has not scheduled a hearing for the No Shooting petition, which precedes action by the Board of Supervisors.

The manager was directed to write the DCD challenging their reversal of an unpaid permit balance from Ed Kirkpatrick (Bay Cottages) to the Association. The manager is to also contact Kirkpatrick in an effort to get a resolution to his unpaid obligation.

The annual membership meeting will be on April 3rd at the Northwest Maritime Center. A light buffet will be available at 12:30 and the business meeting will be at 1:00.

Next board meeting, the annual board reorganizational meeting, was scheduled for Friday, April 8th  at 10 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 12:10 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

(unadopted)

October 9, 2015

Convened at 10 AM at the manager’s home by Tom Lemmons, president.

Present: Tom Lemmons, president,: Shellie Mueller, vice president; Eric Lucas, secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Jerry Gorsline, Don Kruger, Sean Stehura, directors and Dan Näsman, manager. Guests: Residents Howard Andreasen and Janice Layman

The Agenda, which was properly noted to board members, was approved.

Minutes of the Board meeting on July 17, 2015 were unanimously approved.

Financial Report by manager noted that bond interest receipts were continuing as projected and that current cash-on-hand and projected dividends and interest would be within budget projections. Association expenditures are below budget projections.

The manager also noted that Edward Jones had alerted him to a potential change in value of the largest bond, $100,000, which pays 6.75%. It was issued by GTE, which was purchased by Verizon. Early in the next year it will be transferred to Frontier Communications Corp (FTR:US) who have purchased the landline portions of Verizon’s operation. FTR is issuing $6.6 in speculative grade bonds to finance the purchase. This would move the GTE bond to that status. The board recommended a diligent watch on the bond, including second review by Edward Jones as to what the effect of a sale and purchase of other bonds would be. Some analysts see FTR holding a niche in an dwindling but needed landline market while others see it as unable to manage the debt of that magnitude. Lemmons noted that resident Joan Zimmerman, who works in the financial market, would not recommend it for individual portfolios and believes that the backing of the bond needs to be assured.

The manager reported that the PUD will be inspecting individual septic and pumping tanks for those homes that are connected to the community drainfield. A detailed mailing will be sent to those owners. It is intended to help the Association members fulfill their inspection and reporting obligations under the new county requirements. Volunteer assistance will be requested.

The manager reported on a coming change in the water source for the Hastings 3 extension which supplies Ocean Grove. (Details are in the manager’s news letter accompanying the minutes).

The Association’s petition for a county “no shooting” designation for Ocean Grove Estates, Ocean Grove 2 and Ocean Grove 3 was submitted to the county on March 20th. The manager reported that the progress is exceedingly slow and that the names of the petition signers have been certified. It awaits action by the BOC to set a hearing date. The BOC intends to take separate action to approve Ocean Grove 3 because it has to few residences to qualify under their adopted procedures. Harold Andreason requested information regarding the petition and signators.

The manager provided a current list of property sales offerings in Ocean Grove. The only change from July was the sale of Combs Street Block 4 lot 10 to Paul and Suzanne Hand in Punta Gorda, Florida. Other recent, new owners are Chris and Sandy Bakken on Becker Street.

Trimming or removal of trees that are overhanging the back fence line of the RV storage lot has been delayed by the windstorm damage in the county that has tied up crews. One bid for $1,000 was deemed excessive so other bids are being solicited. Through the courtesy of Beckett Point Fisherman’s club, several trees that threatened Ocean Grove owners on Hillcrest were removed. An earlier windstorm dropped a tree which totally destroyed a pickup truck on Hillcrest.

The annual Ocean Grove Salmon/Bratwurst BBQ drew 67 residents, the manager reported.

A variance was granted to the Zimmermans for their carport which was less than 10 feet from the lot line as required by the Covenants. Manager is to inform them that no more variances or approvals will be granted unless the Zimmermans contact the building review committee or the manager prior to commencing a project.

The manager noted the need to refocus emergency planning for residents. The emphasis will be Your on Your Own (YOYO) with informational efforts to encourage residents to have supplies necessary to survive 72 hours without outside assistance. The committee will be revived to plan strategies for coping with the aftermath of disasters.

The board approved notifying our representatives in Congress of its opposition to pending legislation that would permit residents to erect ham radio antennae without regard to covenant restrictions.

The board unanimously approved a $500 bonus to the manager for high performance   It also unanimously approved a salary increase of $100 a month beginning on January 1, 2016. Laura Souza, treasurer, and the manager will review possible budget adjustments and report to the board in its January meeting.

The annual holiday gathering for Ocean Grove residents will be on December 13th at the manager’s home. Guests will be asked to bring an hors d’oeuvre or an appetizer. Drinks and desserts will be provided. The party will be resident oriented so guest attendance is discouraged.

The current budget committee will continue and bring recommendations for the 2016/17 fiscal year budget to the January meeting of the board. The annual membership meeting will be Sunday,

April 3rd.

Next board meeting was scheduled for Friday, January 8th at 10 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 11:47 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

July 17, 2015

Convened at 10 AM at the manager’s home by Shellie Mueller, vice president.

Present: Shellie Mueller, vice president; Eric Lucas, secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Jerry Gorsline, Don Kruger, Sean Stehura, directors and Dan Näsman, manager. Guest Howard Andreasen. Absent Tom Lemmons, president:

The Agenda, which was properly noted to board members, was approved.

Minutes of the Board meeting on April 17, 2015 were unanimously approved.

Financial Report by manager noted that bond interest receipts were continuing as projected and that current cash-on-hand was sufficient to pay annual insurance premiums that are due on July 27th. Insurance premiums total $$6,211 down $384 from the previous fiscal year, The insurance, though Community Association Underwriters, provides $12 million in liability coverage for the Association and $2 million in management liability.

The manager reported on his July 16 attendance at the monthly Community Association Institute managers meeting in Renton. He noted that our budget reports and reserves for replacement of Association-owned assets are in compliance and indicated that the board’s designation of one bond holding (San Jose School District $32xxx) is covers the Association’s responsibility for having a plan to replace assets in a timely fashion. The small Association budget exempts the Association from more costly and detailed reserve requirements that the state requires of larger HOAs and condominium associations.

The Association’s petition for a county “no shooting” designation for Ocean Grove Estates, Ocean Grove 2 and Ocean Grove 3 was submitted to the county on March 20th. The manager reported that the progress is exceedingly slow and that although the county executive has discussed it with the Board of Supervisors on two occasions it has not gone to them for action or for a hearing date.

The manager provided a current list of property sales offerings in Ocean Grove.

Homes for Sale (all are connected to community drainfield)

5493 Cape George Road                2 lots-New owner can design interior space                $309,000

93 Myrtle Street                               1 lot                                                                                       $249,000

284 Myrtle Street                             2 lots                                                                                     $359,000

Undeveloped Property for Sale

Combs Street Block 4 lot 19       1 lot, abuts greenbelt, 2 BR drainfield                              $ 64,900

Combs Street Block 5 lot 16       1 lot, 2 BR drainfield connection                                        $ 49,999

151 Combs Street                          2 lots, no drainfield connection, had SPAD                     $ 38,000

260 Combs Street                        2 lots, 3 BR drainfield connection                                      $ 69,900

73 Combs Place                            1 lot, 2 BR drainfield connection                                             TBD

5334 Cape George Road             2 lots, abuts greenbelt, 2 BR drainfield                             $149,900

Cape George Road Blk 6 lts 4,5 2 lots, 2 BR drainfield connection                                     $135,000

Kruse Blk 8, lots 43,43,44          3 lots, 2 BR drainfield connection                                     $ 60,000

Myrtle Street Blk 7, lots 7, 8      2 lots, 2BR drainfield connection                                      $ 72,000

Becker Street Blk 7 lots 19,20    2 lots, 3BR drainfield connection                                     $ 79,000

The board reaffirmed its position that extended parking of recreational vehicles, including boats, was prohibited by the Covenants and Bylaws. Up to two week periods are permitted for loading, unloading and maintenance but the two week periods are not to be strung together. Occasional daytime use for cleaning is acceptable

Trimming or removal of trees that are overhanging the back fence line of the RV storage lot was approved. The manager was directed to contact a tree service for an estimate and to arrange for the removal and trimming of the trees.

Next board meeting was scheduled for Friday, October 9th at 10 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 11:05 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

 

Ocean Grove Association Board Agenda July 17, 2015

10:00 AM       Manager’s Home

Preliminary Proposed Agenda

  1. Approval/Revision of Agenda
  2. Adoption of Minutes: Meeting of April 17, 201
  3. Financial Reports

3.1 Investments

3.2 Dues Receipts

3.3 Insurance renewal

  1. Manager’s Report on Community Association Institute meeting of July 16“Budgets and Reserves
  2. No Shooting Zone petition report

6, Property listings and sales

7, Review of serial parking of recreational vehicle

  1. Tree trimming RV parking
  2. Discussion (for the good of the order)
  3. Set next regular meeting/adjourn.

 

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

April 17, 2015

Convened at 10:05 AM at the Manager’s home.

Present: Tom Lemmons, president; Jerry Gorsline, vice president, Eric Lucas, secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Don Kruger and Sean Stehura, directors and Dan Näsman, manager. Absent: Sean Stehura and Shellie Mueller, directors.

Agenda, which was properly noted to board members, was approved.

Election of officers: Tom Lemmons, Eric Lucas, and Laura Souza were unanimously re-elected to their current positions and Shellie Mueller was elected vice president.

President Lemmons named himself, Eric Lucas, Don Kruger, and Dan Näsman to the Building Committee.   Sean Stehura and Tom Lemmons will serve as the recreation committee.

Minutes of the Board meeting on February 13, 2015 and the annual membership meeting of April 12, 2015 were unanimously approved.

The manager noted that the revised Covenants will be registered with the Jefferson County Auditor after notarized signatures of the president and secretary are attached.

A revision to Artilcle XIV, Rule 3, of the Association Bylaws was presented for adoption.

  1. USE OF RV STORAGE FACILITY Section 1. Priority for use shall be as follows: (1) Recreational vehicles (including boats) in frequent or occasional use; (2) Trucks; (3) Utility trailers; (4) Shells; (5) Autos; (6) RVs not in occasional use; and (7) Motorcycles.   No commercial vehicles shall be stored. Bylaw changes pertaining to priority shall not apply during the term of an existing agreement. No owner shall have more than two spaces if an owner with no spaces or with one space requests a space. Canopy or shelter installation must be approved by the board. The annual agreement regarding RV storage rules, space assignments, and fees must be signed by the member and an association representative. Rates shall be $10 per month.   Effective April 1, 2007, all stored vehicles and trailers must have current registration and license except for (6) RVs not in occasional use.

Section 2. Overnight storage of RV on residential lot. An owner may keep an RV overnight on a residential lot for no more that 14 consecutive nights subject to the Covenant Article H. If more than 14 days are required, the owner shall request an extension of the allowable nights with an explanation as to the reason for an extended stay. Such requests may be granted at the discretion of the board or its representative. This provision is not intended to be used serially. There must be reasonable—as determined by the board—intervals.

Section 3. Screening requirements for stored vehicles, equipment. Small boats, campers, camper shells and riding lawnmowers or tractors may remain on a lot provided that they are shielded from view from the street or adjacent lots. If the board determines that a boat, et al, requires screening, the manager shall meet with the owner and relay the decision of the board. After such notice the owner shall have 30 days to provide the required screening or to request the board to reconsider the decision. A request for reconsideration shall include a justification for exemption and shall also include signed agreement by an affected neighbor. Screening from street view shall be at the sole discretion of the board.

Section 4. Enforcement An owner may appeal a decision to the board for reconsideration. If, after reconsideration, the owner is directed to comply with these bylaws such decision shall be final. Failure to comply with these requirement shall result in a written notice of a violation to the lot owner or occupant and the lot owner or occupant shall have 14 days from the date of receipt of the written notice to take whatever actions are necessary to remedy such violation. If said lot owner shall not comply within said 14 day period, the Board shall take appropriate actions in accordance with these Bylaws.. Revised April 17, 2015

By unanimous agreement, the manager was authorized to assess the extent of tree trimming/removal needed at the RV lot and to arrange for completion of necessary work.

Also by unanimous agreement, reimbursement to the manager for out-of-pocket expenses ($228.35) for the annual membership meeting lunch was approved..

Next board meeting: Friday, July 17th , 2015 at 10:00 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 11;15 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

Minutes not yet adopted by board

Other discussions upon which no action was taken and, therefore, are not a part of the minutes included a fall workday at Adelma Beach to plant drought tolerant shrubs and a brief discussion about dealing with the impact of drones in the community. E.L.

 

 

 

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

February 13th, 2015

Called to order at 10:09 AM

Present: Tom Lemmons, president; Eric Lucas, secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Jerry Gorsline, Don Kruger, Shellie Mueller and Sean Stehura, directors; Dan Näsman, manager.

Guests: Pam DenOtter, Dana Kovak, Ken & Sue Horvath, and Collette Kostelec.

The agenda was approved.

The minutes of the board meeting of January 9th, 2014 were approved.

After discussion the board unanimously approved the preliminary budget for the April 1, 2015/March 31/2015 fiscal year. The budget will be presented to the membership for approval at the Annual Membership meeting on April 12th.

The board unanimously approved recommended Covenant changes in Article H Recreational Vehicles etc. for presentation to the association members at the annual meeting.

The board unanimously approved recommended Covenant changes in Article M Signs for presentation to the association members at the annual meeting.

The board unanimously approved recommended Covenant changes in Addendum A, Building Plan Fact Sheet for presentation to the association members at the annual meeting.

The board unanimously approved the Agenda for the Annual Membership Meeting.

The board established: Friday, April 17th at 10:00 AM at the manager’s home as their Annual Reorganizational meeting.

Adjourned 11:40 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

Secretary’s comments on meeting

    1. The adopted budget has an shortfall in new income with regard to proposed expenditures. The board discussed a dues increase—currently membership dues and RV fees provide about 18% of Association income. The remainder comes from investment income. There is a sufficient cash balance to cover the shortfall for next year. The association also has a number of water connections that can be sold to new construction along Cape George Road or to newly developed areas served by the PUD Hastings extension. These topics—dues increase, negotiable assets—will be discussed at the annual meeting.
    2. The “meeting” budget item includes the costs of the annual meeting and the two association parties (Labor Day and Christmas). Consideration will be given to adding a pot-luck barbecue as a summer event.
    3. The proposed changes in Covenant language were developed after considerable study. The purpose is to remove some ambiguity, make changes that reflect the needs of the community—protection from visual clutter and reasonable accommodation to the needs of RV owners. The proposed changes were posted at the Association website forum. Although 18 members visited the forum, only one household made proposals for change. Their request was that the recommended language change in Article H Recreational Vehicles, etc. be segregated into 11 segments and each voted on separately at the Annual Membership meeting. This was extensively discussed at the meeting by the board and by the guests and failed to receive a motion for consideration.
    4. A work party for residents was discussed and will be scheduled at the Association’s Adelma Beach property. The purpose will be to plant a number of rhododendrons along the fence. This will be discussed and scheduled at the annual meeting. These comments, in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order, are not part of the minutes but are provided as additional information.

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

January 9th, 2015

Called to order at 10:05 AM

Present: Tom Lemmons, president; Eric Lucas, secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Don Kruger and Shellie Mueller directors; Dan Näsman, manager. Absent: Jerry Gorsline, director. Guests: Pam DenOtter, Dana Kovak, Beth Hutmacher, Ken & Sue Horvath, Michael Berry, and Collette Kostelec.

The agenda was approved with director Souza requesting that minutes be forwarded in a timely fashion.

The minutes of the board meeting of October 10th, 2014 were approved.

Manager Näsman presented financial reports noting that budget income and expenditures for the current fiscal year ending on March 31st, 2014 are very close to projections. He also noted that the income is not matching the expenditures but that a significant opening cash balance was more than adequate to cover the shortfall. He also presented a proposed budget for the coming fiscal year but it will be revised by Treasurer Souza for presentation at the February meeting of the board. After board modifications/approval the budget will be presented to the membership at the annual meeting for approval. The manager also noted that bond holdings and mutual fund holdings by the association have a value that exceeds the association investment by two percent while at the same time paying the association annual interest of five percent.

The manager presented an up-to-date summary of real estate listings and transactions in Ocean Grove (attached). Over the past few years ten homes were sold. Two homes are publicly listed with the Multiple Listing Service and one home is listed for sale by owner. In addition, an Ocean Grove owner is constructing a home on Cape George Road that will be available for purchase when completed. One undeveloped parcel has been sold in the past 17 months. Eleven undeveloped parcels are currently listed for sale.

The association Christmas party drew 75 attendees and was deemed a successful community event.

The manager reported on a conversation that he had with Jim Parker, manager of PUD #1, regarding inspections of systems connected to the community drainfield.   At the current stage of talks between the PUD and the State Health Department, which authorized the drainfield and sets inspection standards for the PUD, it appears that the PUD may end up following the Jefferson County Health Department mandates. The county requires that pressurized systems, such as the Ocean Grove community drainfield, be inspected annually by a certified inspector. The requirements permit a trained homeowner/resident to inspect for most years. Because the county has not made training available for homeowners, the manager will meet with health department officials to seek clarification and an easing of the requirements.

The manager reported that recent windstorms caused trees to drop limbs and damage cars on Hillcrest in Ocean Grove #3. The trees are on the PUD community drainfield for Beckett Point but the property is owned by the Beckett Point Fisherman’s club. The manager contacted the Beckett Point homeowners group and received a confirmation that they would consider an inspection by an arborist and consider appropriate action.

Expansion of the association web site to include a place for Ocean Grove members to use as a bulletin board was discussed and authorization was given for the web designer, Jill Beaumont—FireFly, to work with the manager to implement the same.

A request to the Jefferson County Board of Commissioners to designate the platted areas for Ocean Grove Estates, Ocean Grove #2, and Ocean Grove #3 as a “no shooting zone”. The request must be accompanied by a petition of owners who are registered voters in the precinct and will require a public hearing. To date, 40 members, representing 25 homes, have signed. There are approximately 62 homes, maximum, that meet the criteria for signing the petition. Unsigned owners will be given an opportunity to sign.

An agenda item addressing an owners request regarding the purchase/easement of an Ocean Grove lot in the community drainfield was not acted on.

A lengthy presentation was given by the manager describing the procedure that is being used for board review of a proposed covenant change regarding short-term RV parking on owner lots. Also included in the process was consideration of recommendations made by Colette Kostelec, attorney for Ocean Grove member/residents Ken and Sue Horvath. The board will take no action until its February 13th meeting. Association members will receive a copy of the proposed language and be given an opportunity to comment until January 30th. A portion of the association web page will be given over to the proposed changes with member comments added to the page with the member’s permission.   The letter from Ms. Kostelec will be included. Association attorney Richard Shaneyfelt will also review the final proposal, which will be presented to the membership at their annual meeting on April 12th

At the same meeting, a covenant change pertaining to signs on owners lots will be submitted. It incorporates changes mandated by state law and a change in the size of For Sale signs to reflect current industry practice.

Recognition of the manager’s extra efforts this year was approved by the board.

Next meeting: Friday, February 13th at 10:00 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 11:17 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

 

 

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

October 10th, 2014

Called to order at 10:10 AM

Present: Tom Lemmons, president; Eric Lucas, secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Jerry Gorsline, Don Kruger and Shellie Mueller directors; Dan Näsman, manager. Guests: Pam DenOtter, Dana Kovak, Beth Hutmacher, Dan Berg, Ken & Sue Horvath, Larry Lehman,

The agenda was approved after the addition of one item.

The minutes of the board meeting of July 9th, 2014 were approved.

Ken and Sue Horvath appeared to offer material they had received from the Washington State Community Association Institute, which they recently joined. (Manager Dan Näsman is also a member and frequent attendee at their workshops.)   The Horvath’s offered their help in working towards a better communication and harmony in the community. They stated that they hoped that the board would work toward a more open communication model through increased use of the website.

Manager Näsman presented a report on current budget projections and expenditures to-date as well as on the Association’s bond investments. Budget income is on target and overall expenditures are below budget numbers. Bond investments continue to pay in excess of 5%. He noted that the annual Christmas buffet would exceed the annual budget for that purpose. The board approved the increase and the buffet, which will be held on Sunday afternoon, December 21st.

Budget development for the 2015/16 fiscal year was discussed. Treasurer Souza will coordinate efforts to develop a review committee with an effort to include some members who are not also board members.

Owner-residents adjacent to the community drainfield requested that one lot be made available for their purchase and made a price offer. Several details would need to be resolved before a sale could be considered: The property is owned by the Association and is designated as a portion of the drainfield although its topography excludes it from use as a drainfield. Because it was designated for such use by the State Department of Health and is managed by the PUD, the manager will confer with Jim Parker, PUD manager, regarding feasibility of selling the lot, which the board is willing to consider. Compounding the matter is the fact that the county health department contends that it has authority in the matter—a position that is disputed by the PUD. The manager will also obtain an estimate of the value of the lot if it were to be sold.

There was considerable discussion of Covenants and Bylaw language regarding short term RV and boat parking on residential lots. The discussion included proposing language that covered the use of an owner’s RV as a guest room for visitors, stipulating specific limits on the frequency and duration of owner parking for “loading, unloading and maintenance. (Covenant language currently permits up to 14 days per occasion but sets no conditions regarding the number of occasions.) President Lemmons appointed himself, board members Lucas, Stehura, Mueller, Souza, manager Näsman, and Ocean Grove owner Dan Berg to a committee to evolve proper language on these subjects. They will meet on October 21st at 1:30 PM at the manager’s home. Their work product will be presented to the board at its January meeting for review. An agreed version will be sent to all members for comments and recommendations prior to board adoption of proposed Covenant language to present to the membership for approval at the annual membership meeting in April.

Dan Berg, a long-owner in Ocean Grove and former board member agreed to participate in a review of emergency planning in Ocean Grove. He has extensive experience in disaster relief efforts. Manager Näsman recommended that preparedness concentrated on earthquake preparedness as having the greatest potential for the community.

Member Souza noted that untended dog poop continues to be a problem in some areas of Ocean Grove and requested the manager to send reminder notices to all residents and to install an additional poop bag dispenser at the intersection of Becker and Huntingford. The board approved the purchase.

Member Souza requested that the Association website include a page for members to post requests for assistance and items for sale. It would require the establishment of a level of security so that it can be accessed only by residents.

Next meeting: Friday, January 9th at 10:00 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 11:17 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

July 9th, 2014

Convened at 1:32 PM

Present: Tom Lemmons, president; Eric Lucas, secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Don Kruger and Jerry Gorsline, directors; Dan Näsman, manager.

The agenda was approved.

A new board member, Shellie Mueller, was appointed unanimously. Board thanks was extended to other interested applicants.

Minutes of the April 7, 2014 Reorganizational meeting of the board were approved.

A financial report, including investments and budgeted expenditures was given by the manager. Invested funds have increased by 19% in the past 12 months. Budget income is exceeding projections and expenditures are below expected expenditures.

A letter from the Ocean Grove attorney regarding RV parking was received and accepted by the board.

An Association member’s inquiry regarding RV parking and other items was received as well as a member’s email that included a data base of Covenant and Bylaw provisions.

Upon a report from a member regarding state legislation that may establish board liability for board-authorized community emergency activities, the manager was directed to explore the matter and report back to the board.

The board unanimously expressed that its previous and current practice is to rely on professional consultants, including attorneys, on all matters pertaining to the Covenants and Bylaws as well as general board conduct.

The board reaffirmed that individual expenditures for Association business (i.e. office supplies, mail expenditures, or locks, etc) would be paid from the budget.

Next meeting: Friday, October 10th, 2014 at 10:00 AM at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 11:17 AM

Eric Lucas, Secretary

Ocean Grove Association Board Minutes

April 11, 2014

Convened at 1:32 p.m..

Present:  Tom Lemmons, president; Eric Lucas, secretary; Laura Souza, treasurer; Don Kruger and Jerry Gorsline, directors; Dan Näsman, manager.  Absent: Sean Stehura, vice president

Agenda was revised with an addition by Gorsline who requested a review of the letter to an owner regarding unauthorized cutting on Association property .

Election of officers:  Tom Lemmons, Eric Lucas, and Laura Souza were re-elected to their current positions.  Jerry Gorsline was elected vice president.  A resignation for health reasons was submitted by director Beth Hutmacher and accepted.  A letter of appreciation for her service and a gift of flowers was approved.

Gorsline’s motion to send a letter of apology to the Horvaths regarding events at the annual meeting failed for the lack of a second.

Tom Lemmons will continue as recreation chair and Sean Stehura will continue as chair of the Building Review Committee.  Appointment of an Emergency Preparedness Committee will be deferred until after the committee has its next meeting.

Minutes of the January 10th, March 7th, and the April 6th annual membership meeting were adopted.

The manager reported that the annual homeowner fees and RV storage fees were about 40% collected and that there are no unpaid dues from previous years.

The resignation of the chair of the Emergency Preparedness Committee was accepted.  A letter of thanks will be sent.

There was a long discussion of dog waste problems.  Three dog bag stations will be installed: one each at the trail head parking area, near the RV storage area, and at the intersection of Swanson and Myrtle.  The manager’s Newsletter will also focus on the need for pet owner responsibility.

Covenant language regarding guest RV parking will be reviewed and clarified by the manager contingent upon a review by the association attorney.  Horvath’s concern regarding their attorney’s interpretation will be discussed at a future (May, 2014) meeting with the association’s attorney, Richard Shaneyfelt.  The Horvaths will be invited to that meeting.

A revision in the numbering of Association Bylaws was approved.  Rules and Regulations will be under Bylaw Article XIV and will be separately highlighted at the Association website.

Next meeting:  Friday, July 11th , 2014 at 10:00 a.m. at the manager’s home.

Adjourned 2:55 p.m..

Eric Lucas, Secretary